How to Create a Custom Curtain Panel

Before I show you how I customized curtain panels using the  Cameron Drape from Pottery Barn, there are a few things you should know about my house.
1) I live in a house with 92 windows. 
2) My house gets a lot of sun and heat in the summer
3) My electric bills in the summer are very high, but not as high as the national debt.
4) My husband has a problem with anything hanging on the window and will often say "I don't know why we moved to the country, just to cover up the view"!  You can read how I won solved that debate with my husband here.

Whether my husband agrees or not, my kitchen has a row of windows that needed something on them, so I purchased the  Cameron Panels in Ivory from Pottery Barn. I had purchased these same panels for my master bedroom here.
Since my finished length needed to be 120 inches, I purchased the panels in 84inch length and used 36 inches of finished burlap on the bottom. The natural texture and neutral tones were perfect for the look of the curtain and for the space. 
To provide the extra protection against the heat and the cold weather, I had them lined with a heavy liner. The curtains also provide a fair amount of darkness to the room when closed which is the only disadvantage with using a heavy liner, especially since this is not a room that I want to bring darkness too.
I always make the panels a bit longer then necessary because I like how they puddle on the floor.
I am convinced that I could not have found a fully lined panel in 120 inches for less then $50.00, which is what these ended up costing per panel. Each panel was $35.00 plus the cost of liner and burlap, which is not expensive.
Not a bad price or look for custom drapery. Don't you think? 
The best part is that we have seen slight reduction in our electric bill this summer. Not enough for the country to pay our debt back to China, but maybe enough for dinner out with the family.  






PS- I just looked at the PB Catalog and these Cameron Drapes are currently on sale!

Sharing over at:
Too Much Time
DIY Showoff
Between Naps on The Porch
Under the Table Dreaming
Embracing Change





No comments:

Post a Comment